Sunday, July 20, 2003

Winning With No Dignity

This story is about billiards, if you don't care for the game or don't know its rules then this is gonna be a lame article for you...

Two nights ago I went out with a friend of mine to a bar where we always go to shoot pool. Since it was a Friday night the place was crawling with people and all the hourly tables were taken so we ended up at the coins-per-game table where people often challange the winner for the next game by stacking their quarters on a corner of the table. I was having a good night that night and won the first game from my buddy who usualy wins against me hence I was the champ to take on the next challanger in line, a drunk and angry guy who could had been either a discharged-marine or a groupie for Metallica or both.

We start the game by me breaking, I break with no sinkers but after his shot, on my second strike, I sink two balls leaving me 5 more left on the table. He makes the next shot sinking something but then he leaves the queue ball in some awkward position behind some of his balls that left me with no shot. I look at the crappy situation and instead of attempting to make a crappy shot to match it I just tap the queue ball moving it couple of inches and passing on the turn back to him. He sinks another ball or two, it's my turn again and I miss, back to him and he sinks more, my turn and once again the son of a bitch had left me no good shot so I tap it again moving the queue by an inch again. At this time I still have 5 balls on the table, he has 3 or 4 and he's thinking he's ahead and he's seems cheerful about it too, he makes a shot and misses, but this time leaving me a nice one. I get on it and sink it, wham, next one, wham, next one wham, the one after, wham, last one wham, by this time the guy's shitting bricks as I have just cleared the table and have a shot at the eight, I grin and gently I tap the queue ball into the side pocket, I scratch on the eight, kinda intentionaly kinda mistakenly, hence technically making him the winner. I'm grinning ear to ear, he looks at me furiously cause I had stripped him of the dignity required to enjoy a win, he says "That sucked man! That just really sucked". He didn't want to play the naxt game as winners would, he decides to go home saying that he's too drunk but I think I kinda hurt his feelings. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment